Saturday, August 2, 2014

Ivory Soap!

I love Ivory Soap, and it's the main ingredient in some of my favorite activities to do with kids. I recently got some Ivory Soap in a VoxBox from Influenster, so we decided that meant it was time to have some good clean fun (pardon the terrible pun, I had to).

 Posing with the Ivory Soap. We've done this a few times before, so he's always really excited when he hears what we're going to be doing.



















I like to microwave it in a baking pan with medium-high sides, you can do it on a plate but there tends to be a lot of clean-up required if you do it on a plate.








 We like to watch it grow into a huge pile. This pile is way less than half-expanded, but we like to start breaking it up before we finish expanding it in the microwave.





Tearing it up is a pretty fun sensory experience in itself. It's hard to describe the texture that microwaved Ivory soap has, but it's pretty neat and I strongly recommend doing this with your child(ren) or in your classroom. 








Once we've got some torn up, he added some water to what we had while I started microwaving the rest. How much water you should add depends totally on the texture you're wanting. I would start with a little, and keep adding until it's the texture you want. 






This is how big the rest of the soap expanded. As you can see, it grows quite a bit from its original size.


This is what the microwaved Ivory soap looks like when you pull it apart.






We added more water than we would've if we'd wanted to make it moldable, but as you can see it's still a lot of fun.

















Turning it into bath paint is pretty easy. Put all the mush in a blender (as you can see, the blender doesn't have to be fancy, this one is probably older than I am) and then add about a quarter as much water as you have mush.
  When it's blended, it looks a lot like shaving cream.














I added a few drops of food coloring to each. I haven't had any problem with staining, so I add enough food coloring to make the colors pretty bright.




My parents have a huge tub, so that's where we did our painting.




No comments:

Post a Comment